And so, after 73 episodes, untold millions of dollars, and an estimated 200,000 slayings, our watch has ended.
Death came to Game of Thrones, and everyone involved in its making threw up their hands and shouted, “Yes! Finally! Today!”
Obviously, this list is by no means definitive, so please don’t send us angry fan mail and/or tweets. If we didn’t cover your favorite line of dialogue, politely let us know what it is in the comments or on social media.
1. “Nothing f***s you harder than time.” -Ser Davos Seaworth
The Onion Knight may not have been the most eloquent character on Game of Thrones, but he might have been the wisest.
2. “F*** the king’s guard, f*** the city, f*** the king.” -The Hound
Yet another character who wasn’t afraid to speak his mind. The Hound could always be counted on to drop the ‘F’ and ‘C’ words.
3. “There is only one God and his name is death. There is only one thing we say to death…not today.”-Syrio Forel
The dude only lasted one season, but his epic teaching tips carried Arya all the way through her PWN’ing of the Night King in Season 8.
4. “I’m not questioning your honor, I’m denying its existence” -Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion is probably the most quotable character on the show, so you best believe this won’t be the only gem from him.
5. “Never forget what you are, rest of the world will not. Wear it like an armor and it can never be used to hurt you.” -Tyrion Lannister
We already take it back, Tyrion was the wisest character on Game of Thrones!
6. “Any man who must say ‘I am the king’ is no true king.” -Tywin Lannister
He may have been a Grade-A jerk face, but Tywin was a certifiable badass. Let’s not forget that “The Rains of Castarmere” was written in his honor!
7. “A very small man can cast a very large shadow.” -Lord Varys
Never forget that until the very end, this cunning Master of Whispers worked in the best interest of the people of Westeros, not its royalty.
8. “Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.” — Petyr Baelish (Littlefinger)
Despite being a little bit of a skeevy toe-rag who caused the entire drama of the show in the first place, Littlefinger did give us some valuable tips of deception and seizing power behind the scenes.
9. “Anyone can be killed.”-Arya Stark
*Checks the Night King’s death certificate* Uh, yep, this checks out.
10. “Your son was butchered at the Red Wedding, Lord Manderly, but you refused the call. You swore allegiance to House Stark, Lord Glover, but in their hour of greatest need, you refused the call. And you, Lord Cerwyn, your father was skinned alive by Ramsay Bolton. Still, you refused the call. But House Mormont remembers. The North remembers. We know no king but the King in the North whose name is Stark. I don’t care if he’s a bastard. Ned Stark’s blood runs through his veins. He’s my king from this day until his last day.” -Lady Lyanna Mormont
A long quote for a little lady of unequaled honor and bravery. Need we say more?
11. “Storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling.” -Lord Varys
Varys really knew how to play the game and stay alive…sort of. RIP.
12. “It’s hard to put a leash on a dog once you’ve put a crown con its head.” -Tyrion Lannister
Everything he said was pure gold. Gold, we tell you!
13. “When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.” -Cersei Lannister
Another deplorable member of House Lannister, who belted out some great quotes and held her ground until all was lost.
14. “When people ask you what happened here, tell them the North remembers.” -Arya Stark
It doesn’t get more badass than killing Walder Frey’s family members and feeding them to him in a pie. That’s some Eric Cartman level sh** right there.
15. “Someone took her away from me and Seven Kingdoms couldn’t fill the hole she left behind.” -Robert Baratheon
He may have been an unfaithful and boozing ruler, but Robert Baratheon was a true romantic at heart.
16. “Leave one wolf alive and the sheep are never safe.” -Arya Stark
Once again, SUCK IT HOUSE FREY!
Well, it looks like we’re gonna go cry again…